Do I want to charge NSF to the whole property and their tenants in general? Or do I want to charge only a specific tenant? These are two questions that you will need to sort when turning on and off auto-generation NSF invoices. Good thing that we provide two ways for you to facilitate this and customize it the way you want to.
Follow the steps below:
Before anything else, here’s how you can add the Default non-sufficient funds (NSF) admin fee:
- Go to the ‘Lease Settings’ > Assign the default NSF admin fee > once done, click ‘Save NSF Fee.’
Note: Default value to use for NSF charges when a lease is being created. You will be able to override this value when you create the lease.
If a tenant’s rent cheque/bank payment is returned NSF, a landlord can ask the tenant to pay for the charges the landlord has to pay to the bank, plus an administrative charge. Please check the provincial rules for any restrictions on NSF charges.
There are two ways to Turn On and Off your NSF invoice:
1. By Property
- Go to the ‘Property Management’ section > ‘Properties’
- Choose the property that you need to turn on or off the NSF invoice; click ‘More Actions’ > ‘Edit.’
- Tick the box > Auto-generate ‘NSF Invoice’ if you want to Turn On or Off an NSF invoice for a specific property and its tenants (Note: When you turn this off, the system will not auto-generate any NSF invoice (when online payment fails for any tenants of this property) This is only applicable if you are using our online payment module.
2. By Individual or Tenant Profile – For individuals, it is OFF by default – Remember that there are cases where property managers do not want to charge NSF fees for some of their tenants. That is the reason why it is not automatically turned on.
- Go to ‘Tenant Management section’ > ‘Tenant.’
- From the Tenant List, choose the Tenant that you want to turn to charge or not > Click ‘View Details’ (left arrow icon)
- Click ‘Action’ > ‘Edit Tenant Info’ > Choose ‘Yes’ if you want, our system will automatically generate the NSF invoice. This will only apply if the tenant pay via EFT (bank payment) and the payment fails. Make sure to input the NSF fee. Choose No, if you don’t want to generate the NSF invoice for this tenant automatically.
- Once done, click ‘Update.’
- Note: This option can be turned on and off when creating a new lease. If NSF happens for online payment, we also send an email to the property manager with a comment on whether an automated NSF invoice is generated or not.